Dear Family, Friends, and Supporters,
In November of 2018 we will hit our three-year anniversary of living in Malawi. The Lord has guided and taught us so many things in these three years. We continue to “stand firm” in the Lord, continuing to do the work to which He has called us, and we thank you for partnering with us by supporting us and holding us up in prayer.
So many of you pray for us on a regular or daily basis, and we couldn’t do our ministry without you. We wanted to start our update with some praises!
- Our visa has been approved for two more years. Some of our friends have had to wait over two years for their approval and ours was approved in only three months!
- Mark is adjusting much better and is even calling Malawi home.
- We are fully funded for 2018. We are 80% funded for 2019.
- Through special gifts, we now have solar panels in our home and are able to complete our Global Teams ministry work more easily.
- Additional special gifts allowed us to assist our team in purchasing property and starting an income generating business to pursue ministry among the unreached at the lake.
- The sauce business, GOGO Sauces, is now fully Malawian run and continues to make a profit and provide for needs at Grace of God Orphanage.
- We continue to be healthy and not have malaria.
- We had safe journeys to and from our furlough, and all of our luggage arrived with us.
We were gone 13 weeks. We traveled to 11 different states, crossed state lines over 35 times, spent 214 hours in a van (with three children), and drove 8,900 miles (14,000 kms). We visited nine churches, did presentations to Vacation Bible Schools, Sunday Schools, and women’s groups, and updated friends and supporters (too many to count). We recharged a little bit with a full week spent at Camp Tecumseh, a couple of vacations with extended families, and lots of wonderful time with family and friends that we have missed.
We thank all of you who showed us and our family such wonderful hospitality along our journey. We are always so very blessed to meet with all of you, and we are very sorry for the ones that we missed. Every one of you is significant to our ministry and is loved and prayed for.
We are humbled by the generosity we receive every time we travel to churches and visit with our partners. We are blessed by how faithful and prayerful our partners are. All of our financial needs have been met for 2018. We are 80% funded for 2019 and 2020, but we do need additional monthly supporters to fulfill the remaining 20%. This is our most crucial need, so we can continue to stay here with Global Teams, ministering to the children of Malawi. Please pray and see if God would have you join us through a one-time gift or an ongoing pledge.
New Business Venture Along the Lake
In April of 2018 God showed us a property to buy along the lake. In this area, there are many ministry opportunities with a particular unreached people group. The Lord has given Global Teams Malawi a vision to build a building where children can come and be loved on in tangible ways and learn about the love of Jesus Christ. Our heart is for this building to be sustainable for decades. The Lord has given us and other field partners in Global Teams Malawi vision for involving local Malawians so it can continue to flourish even if God calls us elsewhere. We are working to start up a sausage making business in this area. Please pray for all involved in this new business venture. So far, we have raised funds to start the business and to secure the property, making it a safe place for the children. To give to this project, go to http://weblink.donorperfect.com/gtfpulrich and add a note that is for the Hope Home Project. We are happy to answer any questions you have – simply send us an email.
Luke Ulrich on land that has been purchased
Sunday School and Preschool Opportunities
When talking with leaders in the Anglican Church, we have heard that one of the areas of weakness is the discipleship of the young people. For the past two years we have been working on a Sunday School curriculum that will be used in all the Anglican churches in the central region of Malawi. Currently, the first six months of curriculum has now been approved, and we are in the process of translating it into Chichewa. We expect to launch to all churches in January. Please join us in prayer that more and more children will continue to grow in the Lord and learn more about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ through this curriculum.
One of the challenges here is education. We have discovered that in some areas there are no preschool teachers available. Many children start school in Grade One significantly behind the other children. Over the last two years we have been developing a curriculum to train more preschool teachers. In September, the orphanage in Lilongwe that we have been working with opened a preschool to continue to minister to the community. Jamie has been volunteering once a week to gather resources to add to the curriculum and to form relationships with the children of the orphanage and those in the community.
- Pray for the startup of the sausage business.
- Pray for the finishing and translation of the Sunday School curriculum.
- Continue to pray for our health as we are approaching the rainy season.
- Pray for a healthy rainy season for Malawi.
- Pray for the individuals and children to whom we minister, that their hearts will continue to be open to the Lord.
- Pray for continued guidance from the Lord for our ministries with Global Teams and that the Lord will give our family strength to complete all that He has called us to do.
Our Prayer for You
“I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:3-6.
We love hearing from you, and in this season of Christmas approaching we love receiving Christmas cards and photos.
Luke and Jamie Ulrich